Practice Director, Migration Large scale IT Transformation projects delivered well, can enable businesses to thrive, grow and develop. But too often these projects can under deliver or even fail - why? There are many reasons migration projects enter a ‘CODE RED’ situation, we have certainly encountered a few! But how can you tackle the issues before it is too late and your project fails? Often asking for help can be seen as unnecessary action at a late stage of a project - It is not! Expert assistance can turn your code red into a real success story. As migration experts, Xceed Group has turned projects around from the brink of failure to a business success.
Xceed Group’s Migration Expert Simon Johnson has listed his top tips on how to tackle them.
1. Budget is Out of Control
• Check your staff are doing the right activities. It is not uncommon for a migration project to become a magnet for other change. Stamp that out!
• If time is a problem, replan building contingency in – a 10-14% drop-out rate per migration event in the final 6 weeks is the industry norm
• Have you budgeted enough time for the Application or Business teams? They must be involved and will want to be funded for it. Resource costs can be split as much as 40% Business Application Development and 60% IT staff
2. BAU is taking over
• Agree priority “In Principle” at the CIO level: Don’t expect an absolute priority as this is untenable
• If the migration still conflicts, weave the migration in among other BAU projects, allocate appropriate funding to make it happen
• Be realistic with delivery date expectations with the Steering Committee….you do have one, don’t you???
3. Data Integrity and Completeness
• Don’t get hung up on it! Use what you do know to get started – avoid paralysis by analysis
• Check that you only ask for information you need – go through an exercise and look at every piece of information you want to capture and ask “what will I do with this?” if the answer is not immediately clear, discard it. Avoid “I’ll capture it as it might be useful later”
• Cross reference different sources of information to build a broader confidence on the information you do have
Exhausted these options…..then you need an expert!
For targeted recommendations based on your specific situation, get in touch for a complimentary 60 minute discussion with a migration recovery expert.